Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Grading Writing / Correction Grid

Lately I've been preoccupied as to how to provide feedback to students on written assignments without killing myself grading. (In an ideal world I would focus solely on listening and reading in the lower levels but I've come to realize that parents and administrators want to see proof that their students can communicate in the language.) I asked a colleague of mine how she manages to give meaningful feedback quickly on assessments like timed writings. She suggested focusing on one aspect of the writing, i.e. subject-verb agreement or gender agreement, and quickly scanning the writing, highlighting (with an actual highlighter) any errors in the one area you've decided to focus on. She also suggested having students go through each other's work doing this process with the highlighter for you. Brilliant.

While she was explaining this technique to me, I remembered a Correction Grid I found years ago on TES. It's used to fix writing errors by assigning common mistakes a number. It's really useful in terms of helping students self-correct writing mistakes and to facilitate peer-editing. I thought if I were going to take my colleague's advice, I could use this grid to help students identify which aspects of their writing I/they would focus on when giving feedback. I've re-written the Correction Grid and am sharing it below. The original can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment